Largest Genealogical Collections
That you can actually visit!
This was originally going to be a top ten list, but due to the possibility of stepping on someone's copyright,
it is just a list of the largest collections; more than ten, and in alphabetical order. This is a combination of lists, by
Carole Callard, genealogy specialist at the Library of Michigan
Bill Dollarhide, publisher and author of "America's Best Genealogy Resource Centers"
Suzanne Guinn, genealogist & library student who originally asked me, "well where are the other nine?"
Dereka Smith, librarian at the National Genealogical Society;
James Swan, director, Central Kansas Library System
and author of "The Librarian's Guide to Genealogical Research"
If you know of other large genealogy collections (state or Society), send me your opinion and I'll probably put it on this page. Thanks Suzanne for supplying many of the contact e-mail addresses and URL's.
- Allen County Public Library, Fort Wayne, IN
- Burton Historical Collection, Detroit, MI
- Dallas Public Library , Dallas TX
- D.A.R. Library , Washington D.C.
- Family History Center, Salt Lake City UT
- Library of Congress, Washington D.C
- Library of Michigan, Lansing, MI
- Mid Continent Public Library, Independance MO
- NARA (National Archives and Records Administration ) Washington, DC
- National Genealogical Society, Arlington VA
- Newberry Library, Chicago IL
- New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston MA
- New York Public Library, New York City. NY
- New York State Library, Albany NY
- The State Historical Society of Wisconsin , Madison WI
| HOME | EMAIL |